Court Street United Methodist Church


Court Street United Methodist Church photo of Court Street United Methodist Church
(First Methodist)
In 1834 circuit rider Bradford Frazee held the first Methodist service in Flint. The following year, William Brockway, of the Saginaw Mission, established regular services in Wait Beach's barroom. In 1836 the class of nine persons organized as the Flint River Mission in a room above the Stage and Wright store. In 1841 the Genesee County Board of Commissioners deeded this property to what became the First Methodist Episcopal Church, the oldest organized religious group in the city. The congregation's first church, built in 1842, burned in 1861. Its second one was razed in 1888 to build a third, which burned in 1892. The present church was dedicated in 1894. The Church House was dedicated in 1929.
 

Registered Site L0736
Erected 1986

Location: 225 West Court Street
Flint, Genesee County

Topics:
Methodist Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.0113197 W83.6902695
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.