Post Office


[Whitefish Point] Post Office photo of Post Office
This post office opened just six years after Whitefish Point was settled in 1871 as a landing for the then abundant supplies and as a commercial fishery. Permanent residents received their mail from Sault Ste. Marie. During the summer months, mail was delivered by boat three times a week. In severe winter weather, dog teams hauled the mail twice a month. In service for nearly a century, this post office provided a link with days before lumbermen cut down tall stands of pine trees, The office here ceased operations in 1973.
 

According to Paul Petosky of the Michigan Postal History website, http://postmarks.grandmaraismichigan.com, the postoffice actually closed on Feb 15, 1974.

Registered Site L0724
Erected 1979

Location: Whitefish Point and Wildcat Roads
Whitefish Township, Chippewa County

Topics:
Public Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N46.7522115 W84.9801063
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.