Canton Center School


Canton Center School photo of Canton Center School
This one-room schoolhouse was constructed in 1884 by Hargreaze Sittlington. The school's arches and raised brickwork may have been modeled after the 1882 Cherry Hill United Methodist Church. Both buildings are typical of rural schoolhouses and churches of the period. The Canton Center School ceased operating as a grammar school in 1954. In 1977 the Plymouth - Canton School District donated the structure to the Canton Historical Society, which restored the building. It opened as a museum in 1982.
 

Registered Site L0719
Erected 1989

Location: 1150 South Canton Center Rd
Canton, Wayne County

Topics:
Museums
Schools


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.2998572 W83.4871137
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.