Blossom Heath Inn


Blossom Heath Inn photo of Blossom Heath Inn
Matthew Kramer, a hotelier and yachtsman, built this roadhouse in 1911, naming it the Kramerhof. In 1920 the building was sold to William McIntosh, who renamed it the Blossom Heath Inn and added two large wings, which included an ornate ballroom. Blossom Heath was one of the most luxurious roadhouses in Michigan. Nationally known big bands, such as Ben Pollack's drew people from Detroit and Canada. Blossom Heath became notorious for illegal drinking and gambling during Prohibition and the Depression. After McIntosh's death in 1930, the roadhouse was run by his heirs. By the late 1930's, the heyday of roadhouses was over, and in 1943 Blossom Heath was sold. The building fell into disuse, but in 1946 the village of St. Clair Shores purchased it. On May 19, 1946, it reopened as a civic center with village offices in the north wing. It became the St. Clair Shores Recreation Center in 1957.
 

Registered Site L0705
Erected 1982

Location: 24800 Jefferson Ave
St. Clair Shores, Macomb County

Topics:
Hotels and Inns


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.4744215 W82.8864088
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.