St. Mary's School


St. Mary's School photo of St. Mary
This structure, designed by Puis Daubner was completed in 1868. It is one of the oldest Catholic school buildings in the state, and the third in the history of St. Mary's. At the first school, built in 1844, laymen were the original instructors. In 1852, the "Christian Brothers" opened two classes with 180 pupils and the School Sisters of Notre Dame (a German order of teaching nuns) took charge of the girls and smaller boys. In 1855 a second schools was built and used as a combination school, orphanage and sisters' residence. Prior to closing in 1966, St. Mary's Commercial School for Girls was the only one of its kind in Detroit. The building is now St. Mary's Community Center.
 

Registered Site L0686C
Erected 1980

Location: Near 646 Monroe
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Schools


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.335459 W83.041035
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.