St. Mary's Church


St. Mary's Church photo of St. Mary
St. Mary's parish was founded by Father Martin Kundig in 1835 for the German-speaking Catholics in Detroit and is the third oldest Catholic parish in the city. The cornerstone for the original church was laid on the feast of Corpus Christi, June 19, 1841, and the church was consecrated in honor of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary on June 29, 1843. This High Victorian Romanesque style structure was designed by German parishioner Peter Dederiches. The cornerstone was laid in 1884, and the edifice was completed in 1885. St. Mary's founded the city's first black and Hispanic missions. Since 1893, this parish has been guided by the Fathers of the Congregation of the Holy Ghost, C.S. Sp.
 

Registered Site L0686A
Erected 1980

Location: Near 646 Monroe
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Catholic Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.335525 W83.040775
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.