Masonic and Town Hall


Masonic and Town Hall photo of Masonic and Town Hall
The Sanilac Masonic Lodge was organized in 1868. In 1863 lodge members and township officials agreed to build a combined township and Masonic hall on land donated by Christopher Odfield, a Mason. The foundation was built with three-foot-thick wall to provide refuge from future forest fires. When the cornerstone was laid on July 1, 1884, crowds turned out for the event, which was highlighted by Masonic ritual. The building was completed the following year. At the turn of the twenty-first century, the hall retained its fanciful Late Victorian brickwork and interior plan used by both the township and the Masons. The Masonic and town hall is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
 

Registered Site L0684
Erected 2002

Location: 20 N. Ridge St.
Port Sanilac, Sanilac County

Topics:
Clubs and Organizations
Public Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.4314623 W82.5423628
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.