Mary Immaculate of Lourdes Church


MARIA ANTISSIMA IMMACOLATE DI LOURDES photo of Mary Immaculate of Lourdes Church
In the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries Italian immigrants came to Iron Mountain to work in the iron mines. In 1890, Italian Catholics from the community's organized what was popularly known as "the Italian Church." That year they built a frame church near this site. The church burned in 1893 and was rebuilt. In April 1902, Father G. Pietro Sinopoli arrived here. Within two months he formed a church building committee. Four thousand dollars were raised and in June Father Sinopoli began excavating the foundation. The church was completed in December and dedicated to Mary Immaculate of Lourdes on January 1, 1903.
 
 
Mary Immaculate of Lourdes Church
This church reflects the heritage and building techniques of the Italian immigrants who erected it. The church with its bell tower fashioned after a campanile, is strikingly reminiscent of Renaissance parish churches in Italy. Father G. Pietro Sinopoli, the parish priest, is thought to have designed the building. Masons and volunteers hauled sandstone from a quarry one mile south of here to build the exterior walls. The Menominee Stained Glass Works created at least three of the windows, including the choir loft window designed by Father Sinopoli. The church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.

Registered Site L0661
Erected 1990

Location: 500 East Blaine Street
Iron Mountain, Dickinson County

Topics:
Catholic Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N45.832582 W88.055766
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.