First Presbyterian Church


First Presbyterian Church photo of First Presbyterian Church
Organized in 1837, the same year that Coldwater became a village, the local Presbyterian society held services in various quarters until 1844 when it erected its first church. It completed the present Romanesque Revival style brick church in 1869 at a cost of $40,104. The 185-foot steeple, one of the highest in southern Michigan and the chief landmark of the city, was made possible by a gift from S.M. Seely. The Meneely bell came from West Troy, New York, in 1853. In early times, the church often served as a lecture and concert hall. Sojourner Truth, former slave and early women's rights activist, spoke here in 1877. The church building is now the oldest in the city still in use by its original denomination. In 1986 it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
 

Registered Site L0657
Erected 1987

Location: 52 Marshall Street
Coldwater, Branch County

Topics:
Presbyterian Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N41.942851 W85.000417
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.