Mosherville Church / Mosherville School


Mosherville Church photo of Mosherville Church / Mosherville School
The Mosherville Church was built in 1861-62 on land donated by Joseph and Mary Riggs. Originally part of the Litchfield circuit of the Methodist Episcopal Church, it became the home church of a separate circuit in 1870. The Ladies Aid Society was organized in 1891. In 1893 a bequest from Kate C. Brower allowed the society to enlarge the church, adding the Kate C. Brower Memorial Chapel. The church has held weekly non-denominational services since 1943.
 
 
a photo of Mosherville Church / Mosherville School Mosherville School
Mosherville's first school opened in 1847. In 1857-58 the community erected a frame schoolhouse. It was replaced by this building in 1872 at a cost of $2,800. The oldest school in Scipio Township, it originally had two rooms serving grades one through ten. Later, as an eight-grade school, its well-kept yard and out buildings, organization, furnishings and supplies earned it the status of "standard school." The school closed in 1967 and later became the home of the Ladies Aid Society.

Registered Site L0653
Erected 1980

Location: North Street
Scipio Township, Hillsdale County

Topics:
Methodist Episcopal Churches
Schools


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.0615286 W84.6576404
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.