Smith's Chapel


Smith's Chapel photo of Smith
The first Methodist church in Milton Township was organized in 1839. The following year, this church was built and named Smith's Chapel to honor Canon Smith, who had contributed generously to the construction of the church. Smith, a native of Delaware, bought land here in 1829 and settled on it in 1831. The chapel is one of the oldest Methodist churches in southwest Michigan. In 1967 regular church services were discontinued. Milton Township purchased the structure in 1972. It now serves as a wedding and funeral chapel.
 

Registered Site L0652
Erected 1981

Location: Redfield Rd between Brush and Fir
Milton Township, Cass County

Topics:
Churches and Religious Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N41.7673747 W86.1478757
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.