DeWitt School


DeWitt School photo of DeWitt School
Built in 1891, DeWitt School typifies the one-room schools of the turn of the century. It stands on an acre of land that was donated by the DeWitt and Bosch families. Classes for grades one through eight were held in it until 1957. At one time, a single teacher taught from twenty-five to forty students by holding one ten-minute session per subject for each of the eight grades. The original school district covered approximately four square miles, and many children walked more than two miles to and from school daily. Nearly two decades after the school closed, planning began for restoring it as a living museum for area school children. By 1979 the classroom resembled its 1891 appearance, featuring gas lights, a wood stove, an octagonal clock, a hanging globe, lunch pails and desk.
 

Registered Site L0640
Erected 1982

Location: 17710 West Taft Street
Spring Lake Township, Ottawa County

Topics:
Museums
Schools


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.102865 W86.223168
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.