Sacred Heart Parish


Sacred Heart Parish photo of Sacred Heart Parish
Erected in 1875, this building was originally a German Catholic Church. As the social and ethnic composition of the neighborhood changed, so did the membership of the church. Many of the founding German parishioners moved away. Finally in 1838 the first black Catholic congregation in the city moved to this edifice. That pioneer congregation, which had begun in 1911 as the St. Peter Claver Church on Eliot and Beaubien streets, still worships here. Affiliated with Sacred Heart Parish are a Sunday School, a choir, several church auxiliary organizations, and numerous social, educational, and cultural functions which serve the people of this community. The church operated a high school until 1957 and an elementary school until 1965. This parish has served Detroit for over one hundred years.
 

Registered Site L0632
Erected 1978

Location: 1000 Eliot
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Catholic Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.351077 W83.045477
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.