St. Joseph Catholic Church


St. Joseph Catholic Church photo of St. Joseph Catholic Church
The Catholic church in this village dates back to 1840 with Fathers Cullen, Hennesy and Pulsers serving the predominantly Irish parishioners for nearly thirty years. The present brick edifice, completed in 1874, is an example of simple Gothic style. Stained glass and carved woodwork enhance the interior. St. Joseph Catholic Church was dedicated on January 3, 1875, with almost 700 persons attending, and Bishop Caspar Borgess performing the rite of consecration. The bell, weighing almost two tons, was placed in the belfry in 1885. One of St. Joseph's most notable resident pastors was Charles T. Walsh, who served for thirty-five years. Associated with the church, the oldest in the village of this denomination are a school, rectory and convent.
 

Marker incorrected refers to Bishop Caspar Burgess


Registered Site L0626
Erected 1979

Location: 3430 Dover Street
Dexter, Washtenaw County

Topics:
Catholic Churches


Home

Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.337435 W83.88253
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.