Union Depot


Union Depot photo of Union Depot
The Union Depot was opened in 1895 to serve the Chicago & West Michigan Railway; The Muskegon, Grand Rapids & Indiana Railroad; and the Toledo, Saginaw & Muskegon Railroad. A.W. Rush and Son of Grand Rapids designed the Richardsonian Romanesque station. Several national political figures paused at the depot during whistle stop campaigns. In 1896, William Jennings Bryan stopped during the first of three unsuccessful presidential bids. The 1952 campaign brought Republican vice presidential candidate, and future president Richard M. Nixon to Muskegon as well as President Harry S Truman who stopped on behalf of Democratic presidential candidate Adlai Stevenson. The Union Depot closed in 1971. It was donated to Muskegon County in 1992 and restored as a visitors' center and museum.
 

Registered Site L0601
Erected 2000

Location: 610 W. Western Avenue
Muskegon, Muskegon County

Topics:
Transportation


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.232402 W86.257913
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.