St. John The Baptist Catholic Church


St. John The Baptist Catholic Church photo of St. John The Baptist Catholic Church
Irish immigrants founded a Catholic mission in Livingston County in 1843. The following year, two acres of land were purchased here and a log structure was erected for worship services. As the congregation grew it required a larger facility, and a frame structure was built on to the log church in later years. In 1868 the log portion was removed and the west end of the present corbeled brick building was erected. The cornerstone was consecrated at that time. In 1873 the frame segment was detached, moved across the road and used for services during the construction of the present Gothic Revival structure. The church became a parish in 1974. Originally known as St. James, St. John the Baptist congregation is the oldest Catholic congregation in Livingston County.
 

Registered Site L0598
Erected 1982

Location: 1991 Hacker Road
Oceola Township, Livingston County

Topics:
Catholic Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.6309197 W83.7974613
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.