Franklin Village School


Franklin Village School photo of Franklin Village School
Michigan's Territorial Council passed a law in 1827 requiring every township with fifty or more inhabitants to establish a school. Thus the following year, the first school in Southfield Township was erected in Franklin Village. Sophie Gotie taught twenty-nine students in a log schoolhouse located near the still extant house of early settler Daniel Broughton. Franklin village built a new school in 1845 at the foot of School Hill on property deeded by Winthrop Worthings. On this site in 1869 a third school was constructed on land given by wealthy postmaster A.A. Rust. After that building burned in 1922, the village erected the present school on this same location. The Franklin School District No. 3, Southfield Township, joined the Birmingham Public Schools in 1945.
 

Registered Site L0584
Erected 1977

Location: 32220 Franklin Road
Franklin, Oakland County

Topics:
Schools


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.523705 W83.305856
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.