Vergennes United Methodist Church


Vergennes United Methodist Church photo of Vergennes United Methodist Church
In 1843, a group of twelve emigrants from New England and Western New York State founded the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Vergennes. Originally part of the circuit running from Grand Rapids to Boston, Michigan, the group first met at the log house of Anthony Yerkes. Later it used the Yerkes and Bailey log schools. Surnames of many of the pioneer parishoners - Fairchild, Kerr, McPherson, Odell, Bieri, Anderson still grace the church's rolls in 1986.
 
 
Side 2
In the early 1860s the Vergennes Methodist congregation decided to build a permanent place of worship and appointed Charles Collar, A.R. Hoag, and T. Crakes to the building committee. In 1864, Smith Bailey, a prominent local farmer, donated the land for the church. Completed in 1864 the white clapboard structure, with its simple design, reflects the eastern origin of its founders. By 1986 the church had been in continuous service for over a century.

Registered Site L0574
Erected 1986

Location: Bailey at Parnell
Lowell, Kent County

Topics:
Methodist Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.9731295 W85.4119205
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.