Alpha House


Alpha House photo of Alpha House
Built about 1918, this neoclassical style structure houses Gamma Lambda Chapter, third graduate chapter of the first black national Greek letter fraternity in the United States; Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. Founded in 1906 at Cornell University, the fraternity's aims are manly deeds, scholarship and love for all mankind. This local chapter, established in 1919, served as a focal point for black social, cultural, educational, and community service activities in an era when there were few other outlets. The chapter continues civic and cultural work and involvement in nonprofit business enterprises that benefit the metropolitan Detroit community. Martin Luther King, Jr., W.E.B. Du Bois and Edward "Duke" Ellington, among others, are national members who have achieved prominence.
 

Registered Site L0549
Erected 1979

Location: 293 Eliot St.
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Black History
Colleges and Universities
Missing Markers

Evidence indicates that this Marker is no longer in place.


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.348175 W83.053738
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.