Hancock / Town Hall and Fire Hall


Hancock photo of Hancock / Town Hall and Fire Hall
The Quincy Mining Company platted Hancock in 1859, a decade after the company began mining Keewanaw copper. While many copper towns boomed and busted within a short period of time, Hancock remained stable, incorporating as a city in 1875. By 1897, Hancock's four thousand citizens wanted a government building that would reflect the city's prosperity and stature. The Quincy Company sold this lot to the city in 1898 and in January 1899 the Town Hall and Fire Hall opened.
 
 
Town Hall and Fire Hall
The Marquette firm of Charlton, Gilbert and Demar designed Hancock's Town Hall and Fire Hall. Completed in 1899, the building housed city offices, the fire department, and the marshall's office and the jail. Built of Jacobsville sandstone with stepped and curved gables, it exhibits Richardsonian Romanesque, Dutch and Flemish influences. The building is listed in the National register of Historic Places.

Registered Site L0519
Erected 1999

Location: 399 Quincy Street
Hancock, Houghton County

Topics:
Cities and Towns
Public Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N47.126725 W88.584401
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.