Harsen House


Harsen House photo of Harsen House
This house belonged to the family of Jacob Harsen. A gunsmith and fur trader who arrived here about 1778, Harsen was the first white settler on the island. On this site he built a log home which was destroyed by a gunpowder explosion. The present structure, erected around 1800 and subsequently enlarged and altered, housed his descendents until the 1940s. The Harsen Family once owned all of the island which bears their name.
 

Registered Site L0511
Erected 1979

Location: 2006 Golf Course Road
Harsen's Island, Saint Clair County

Topics:
Historic Homes


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.6115933 W82.5761926
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.