Sixth Street Bridge


Sixth Street Bridge photo of Sixth Street Bridge
The Massillon Bridge Company of Ohio built this $31,000, four-span bridge for Grand Rapids in 1886. The rust-resistant wrought iron used for its four Pratt trusses accounts for its durability. In 1921 the western truss was shortened when the west bank canal was filled in. In 1975 the bridge was slated for demolition; but concerned citizens convinced authorities to save it. This structure, the longest, oldest remaining metal bridge in Michigan was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
 

Registered Site L0479
Erected 1981

Location: Grand River between 6th and Newberry
Grand Rapids, Kent County

Topics:
Bridges


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.9765363 W85.6735110
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.