Music Hall


Music Hall photo of Music Hall
Originally called the Wilson Theatre, this building was completed in 1928 with funds provided by Matilda Wilson (Mrs. Alfred G.). William E. Kapp of Smith, Hinchman & Grylls, an architectural firm whose works dominated the city's skyline of the 1920s, designed this Art Deco style edifice. Terra-cotta Greek masks adorn the exterior, and elaborate molded plaster and stenciling complement the interior. The Theatre's purpose of offering legitimate productions was initially fulfilled, but during the Depression its lights dimmed except for sporadic occasions. From 1946 to 1948, the Detroit Symphony Orchestra occupied this structure which was renamed Music Hall. Area residents came here in the 1950s and 1960s to see Cinerama and other films. Now the home of the Music Hall Center and the Michigan Opera Theatre, Music Hall is restored to its original use and appearance.
 

Registered Site L0467
Erected 1978

Location: 350 Madison Ave
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Theaters, Halls, and Arenas


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.337242 W83.045960
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.