Omer Masonic Hall


Omer Masonic Hall photo of Omer Masonic Hall
This church-like white frame structure with its graceful cupola was built in 1890 as the second Arenac County Courthouse. The first courthouse on this site burned the previous year. Omer had been a part of Bay County until Arenac was organized in 1883 and this city, then a village, became the county seat. Less than a decade later, voters made nearby Standish the county seat. The Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of the state of Michigan purchased this building in 1893 for the Omer Masonic Lodge; that group and the Order of the Eastern Star still hold meetings here. Surviving the disastrous fire of 1914, which swept through Omer's business district, this edifice housed the temporary headquarters of several firms. It is one of the city's oldest buildings.
 

Registered Site L0444
Erected 1977

Location: US-23 Downtown
Omer, Arenac County

Topics:
Public Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N44.047547011 W83.85357722
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.