Congregation Beth El


Congregation Beth El photo of Congregation Beth El
This simple white frame structure featuring gable roof ends with spindle work is the oldest synagogue building in continuous use in Michigan. It was constructed in 1885 on land donated by Perry Hannah, Traverse City lumber magnate who contributed to many religious and civic institutions. Julius Steinberg, Julius Levinson and Solomon Yalomstein were the first trustees of Beth El. Unchanged in appearance, the building has served the Jewish community in the Grand Traverse area for almost a century.
 

Registered Site L0421
Erected 1977

Location: 312 South Park St.
Traverse City, Grand Traverse County

Topics:
Churches and Religious Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N44.761667 W85.618137
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.