Sue Silliman House


Sue Silliman House photo of Sue Silliman House
This brick structure was built in the 1870s by Arthur Silliman, an early pioneer to the area, who came to Three Rivers in 1847. The lower level of the building served as Silliman's blacksmith shop and the upper stories served his family. Near this site a Potawatomi Indian trail crossed the St. Joseph. The confluence of the St. Joseph, Portage and Rocky rivers at this site gave Three Rivers its name.
 
 
Side 2
Arthur Silliman deeded this property, named "Riversby" to his daughter Sue in 1914. Sue Silliman was Three Rivers librarian and historian for forty-two years. During that time she also served on national, state, and local boards of the Daughters of the American Revolution. Before she died in 1945, she left to the people of the area her papers, the books she wrote including St. Joseph In Homespun, her home, and the memory of a life dedicated to the pulic service.

Registered Site L0400
Erected 1976

Location: 116 South Main
Three Rivers, Saint Joseph County

Topics:
Early Settlers


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N41.94387 W85.632646
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.