County Courthouse photo of
Lenawee was first settled in 1824 at Tecumseh, which the Territorial legislature subsequently made the county seat. Pioneers, mostly from upper New York State, then established Blissfield and Adrian, the later called Logan. The largest Indian tribe in the area was the Potawatomi. In 1838 the first state legislature moved the seat of justice from Tecumseh to Adrian. The first courthouse in Adrian was built in 1837 but burned in 1852. Immediately purchasing this site, formerly the western terminus of the Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad, the county opened a temporary courthouse. The present Romanesque-style edifice was completed in 1885 and features round-arched entrances and an ornate tower. Its exterior is also adorned with classic reliefs and terra-cotta trim. Since 1885 this impressive structure has been the seat of Lenawee County government.
 

Registered Site L0368
Erected 1981

Location: 301 North Main Street
Adrian, Lenawee County

Topics:
Public Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N41.901881 W84.03466
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2016 James Brennan. All rights reserved.