Shiawassee County Courthouse


Shiawassee County Courthouse photo of Shiawassee County Courthouse
Territorial Governor Lewis Cass established Shiawassee County in 1822, but as there were few white settlers in the area, its government was not organized until 1837. Two years later, the county commissioners designated this site in the village of Corunna as the public square. County offices occupied temporary facilities here until 1851, when a brick courthouse was built. It was replaced in 1903-4 by the present structure, designed by Claire Allen and costing $75,000. The cornerstone was laid on May 4, 1904, before the largest gathering in the county's history. The courthouse, with its elegant clock tower and columned facade, still houses most of the major county offices.
 

Registered Site L0366
Erected 1975

Location: 218 North Shiawassee
Corunna, Shiawassee County

Topics:
Public Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.981143 W84.117914
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.