Hermansville


Hermansville photo of Hermansville
Charles J. L. Meyer of Minden, Germany migrated to America and continued his family tradition of woodworking by founding a plant in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin for the manufacture of sash, doors and blinds. In 1878 he bought pine timberlands and founded the town of Hermansville to supply lumber to his Fond du Lac factories. The village was named for his son Herman, the first postmaster, and the township was named for Meyer. His son-in-law, George Washington Earle, of Tully, New York, helped bring the Wisconsin Land and Lumber Company, which Meyer started in 1883, through difficult times. Earle led the company to pre-eminence by producing precision finished hardwood flooring on machines which Meyer had designed and manufactured. The flooring factory closed in 1943.
 

Registered Site L0345
Erected 1979

Location: US-2 near County Road 388
Hermansville, Menominee County

Topics:
Cities and Towns


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N45.7137909 W87.5975775
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.