Indian Village


Indian Village photo of Indian Village
Here, in October 1851, U.S. surveyor Guy H. Carleton discovered an Ojibwa (Chippewa) Indian village, cemetery and campground. Chief Edwards, last ruler at Chicaugon Lake, received a patent for this land in 1884. Selling it in 1891, he and his wife Pentoga, for whom this area is named, moved to the Lac Vieux Desert area. By 1903 only a few burial houses and a brush fence remained from the ancient village. Iron County engineer Herbert Larson, Sr., convinced the county to buy the property and restore it as a park honoring the area's first inhabitants. It was dedicated in 1922.
 

Registered Site L0342
Erected 1980

Location: County Road 630 Pentoga Park
Stambaugh Township, Iron County

Topics:
Cemeteries
Native Americans
Parks


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N46.0408589 W88.5095500
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.