Sweetest Heart of Mary Catholic Church


Sweetest Heart of Mary Catholic Church photo of Sweetest Heart of Mary Catholic Church
During the late nineteenth century many Polish immigrants fleeing oppression came to Detroit. In 1886 a group of them organized the school that was the beginning of Sweetest Heart of Mary Parish. On December 8, 1888, the Reverend Dominic H. Kolansinski, former pastor and builder of neighboring St. Albertus Church, became their pastor without episcopal approval. Under his leadership, construction of this late Victorian Gothic church began in July 1890. On February 18, 1894, the parish officially became part of the Diocese of Detroit. The church's windows, made by Detroit Glass Works, won prizes at the 1893 Chicago Columbian Exposition. Its organ is one of he oldest Austin organs in existence. Its 217-foot spires house three large bells named St. Mary, St. Joseph and St. Barbara.
 

Registered Site L0334
Erected 1981

Location: 4440 Russell Street
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Catholic Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.357977 W83.048041
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.