First Baptist Church


First Baptist Church photo of First Baptist Church
As Americans settled the wilderness areas of Michigan, religious services were often the first community concern. Beginning in 1831, traveling preachers visited this area, holding revival and prayer meetings, and starting new congregations. One of the earliest Protestant churches between Pontiac and the Mackinac area was the First Baptist Church of Grand Blanc founded on June 1, 1833. Two preachers from Pontiac helped organize the Society. It was kept alive and active after the preachers moved on by Daniel Williams, Alfred Brainard and John Tupper, all of whom were deacons from New York State. Meetings were held in barns, homes and schools until this site was selected in 1843. Completed in 1851, this simple white frame church was dedicated on May 21 by the Reverends T. H. Facer and Joseph Gambell.
 

Registered Site L0300
Erected 1976

Location: 6101 South Saginaw
Grand Blanc, Genesee County

Topics:
Baptist Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.942676 W83.648314
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.