Indian Landing - Charlton Park


Indian Landing - Charlton Park photo of Indian Landing - Charlton Park
In the early nineteenth century the Thornapple Band of Ottawa Indians established a village and school a short distance from Thornapple Lake. It was served in the 1840s by a Methodist mission conducted by the Rev. Mannaseh Hickey. Trails leading to Canada and the Grand River intersected near the northeast end of the lake. In 1843 four Indian families purchased land here remaining until their removal to northern Michigan about 1855. In 1936 Irving D. Charlton donated the land to Barry County for a park in memory of his parents and founded a museum with a large collection of pioneer artifacts. He served as director until his death in 1963.
 

Registered Site L0215
Erected 1973

Location: 2545 South Charlton Park Road
Hastings Township, Barry County

Topics:
Museums
Native Americans


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.6196230 W85.2034807
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.