St. Joseph's Parish


St. Joseph's Parish photo of St. Joseph
Organized in 1855, St Joseph's served a German Catholic neighborhood for generations. With schools and activities conducted in German, the parish sponsored a mutual benefit society to assist its immigrant flock. In 1873, led by Fr. Johann Friedland, the parish dedicated this limestone church, designed in the Gothic Revival style by Francis Himpler. No longer predominantly German, St. Joseph's continues as a neighborhood parish and still provides services in German.
 

Registered Site L0204
Erected 1974

Location: 1828 Jay St.
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Catholic Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.345747 W83.0357891
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.