Governor's Mansion


Governor's Mansion photo of Governor
State Senator James Wright Gordon built this Greek Revival house in 1839, the year he introduced a bill to make his town state capital. Land near his house had been selected for the capital grounds. Marshall's hopes were not fulfilled but Gordon became lieutenant-governor in 1840 and acting governor in 1841 upon the resignation of William Woodbridge. In 1967 the property was deeded to the Mary Marshall Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
 

Registered Site L0197
Erected 1972

Location: 621 South Marshall Avenue
Marshall, Calhoun County

Topics:
Historic Homes


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.265607 W84.954194
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.