Bowen's Mill


Bowen's Mill photo of Bowen
Settlement began here in the mid-1830s, and in 1850 a post office known as Gun Lake was established. The village, never over 100 population, contained a sawmill, general store, blacksmith shop and several other businesses. E. H. Bowen constructed the present gristmill in 1864 and in 1870 the name of the town was changed to honor its leading citizen. Bowen and his son William operated the mill, famous for its buckwheat flour, until 1912. Production continued until mid-twentieth century.
 

Registered Site L0192
Erected 1972

Location: 200 Old Mill Road
Yankee Springs Township, Barry County

Topics:
Commercial Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.655266604 W85.51988482
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.