St. John's Episcopal Church


St. John's Episcopal Church photo of St. John
A mission was organized in Mount Pleasant in 1876, and in 1882 the present building was begun. Local businessman William N. Brown contributed most of the building funds, and the bricks and lumber were made in his plants. The interior design of St. John's was adapted from a chapel on the English estate of the Duke of Devonshire. The Right Reverend George D. Gillespie consecrated the church in a three-hour ceremony on January 10, 1884, after which parishioners repaired to a local hotel for a 10-course dinner.
 

Registered Site L0189
Erected 1972

Location: 206 West Maple St
Mount Pleasant, Isabella County

Topics:
Episcopal Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.599406 W84.777758
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.