Loop Harrison House


Loop Harrison House photo of Loop Harrison House
This Second Empire style mansion was built in the 1870s by Doctor Joseph Loop. A native of New York, Loop moved to Oakland County, Michigan, in 1843. he and his wife, Jane Gardner Loop pioneered this land in Sanilac County in 1854, and after graduating from the University of Michigan medical department in 1855, he opened a practice in Port Sanilac. When this home was built, he kept an office on the lower floor, and serviced a forty-mile circuit, bringing medical care to much of the county. Doctor Loop died in 1903 at the age of ninety-three, leaving the home to his only child, Ada. She and her husband, the Reverend Julius Harrison passed it in turn to one of their sons, Captain Stanley Harrison. In 1964 he deeded it to the Sanilac County Historical Society for a museum.
 

Registered Site L0172
Erected 1971

Location: 228 South Ridge
Port Sanilac, Sanilac County

Topics:
Historic Homes
Museums


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.4245777 W82.5430458
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.