St. James Episcopal Chapel

St. James Episcopal Chapel photo of St. James Episcopal Chapel
Lisette Denison, a freed slave, willed her life savings to build Saint James Episcopal Chapel. With supplemental funds from her employer, William S. Biddle, and his brother James, this Gothic chapel was constructed in the summer of 1867. The architect was English-trained Gordon W. Lloyd of Detroit, who summered on Grosse Ile. The first rector was the Reverend Moses H. Hunter. James Biddle built a rough alter cross, a minister's kneeling bench, and a reading stand for the first services, which were held in 1868.

Registered Site L0122
Erected 1981

Location: 25159 East River Road
Grosse Ile, Wayne County

Episcopal Churches

Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
N42.1245113 W83.1421682
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.