First Wexford County Courthouse


First Wexford County Courthouse photo of First Wexford County Courthouse
Wexford County was organized in 1869. The law organizing the county also specified that the county seat should be located "at or near what is called Manistee Bridge," where the Newago and Northport State Road crossed the Manistee River. In 1870 the village of Sherman was platted just north of the bridge. The first county courthouse, completed in 1872, was located about two hundred feet west of this marker. After a heated controversy, the county offices were transferred in 1881 to Manton, a small town in the eastern part of the county. The dispute was finally settled in 1882 when Cadillac was chosen as the county seat of Wexford county. The old courthouse in Sherman was used as a school until 1937.
 

Registered Site L0074
Erected 1969

Location: M-37 1 mile north of M-55
Sherman, Wexford County

Topics:
Public Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N44.4095046 W85.6995391
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.