Langley Covered Bridge


Langley Covered Bridge photo of Langley Covered Bridge
This is the longest of Michigan's few remaining covered bridges. It is 282 feet long with three, ninety-four-foot spans of the Howe-truss construction. The bridge was built in 1887 by Pierce (?) Bodmer of Parkeville, using the best quality of white pine for the frame timbers. The bridge's name honors a pioneer Centreville family. When Sturgis Dam was built in 1910, the Langley Bridge had to be raised eight feet. In 1950-1951 extensive repairs and replacement of parts was carried out by the St. Joseph County Road Commission to preserve for the future this historic link with a bygone era.
 

Registered Site L0056
Erected 1965

Location: Covered Bridge Rd
Nottawa Township, Saint Joseph County

Topics:
Bridges


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N41.9668774 W85.5285859
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.