Eighteenth Century Gristmill Site


Eighteenth Century Gristmill Site photo of Eighteenth Century Gristmill Site
From 1787 until about 1840 a horse-driven grist mill occupied the triangle of land north of Horsemill Road bounded by the river and Thorofare. Ten acres were cleared and enclosed as meadows for the mill horses. Equipped with "a pair of Stones 3 feet 3 inches in diameter," the mill was erected by William Macomb at a cost of 628. He also maintained a "Cyder Press" near the shore and a shipping wharf.
 

Registered Site L0051
Erected 1965

Location: East River Rd.
Grosse Ile, Wayne County

Topics:
Early Settlers


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.1629262 W83.1423425
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.