Indian Mission


Indian Mission photo of Indian Mission
Here, on July 1, 1845, three Lutheran missionaries, Rev. Johann J. F. Auchs, Rev. J. Simon Dumser, and Rev. George Sinke, arrived. The Lutheran leader, Rev. Friedrich Schmid, sent them from Ann Arbor to evangelize the Chippewa Indians. A log chapel was built here later that summer. In 1849 Rev. Mr. Auch ferried lumber from Lower Saginaw to Shebahyonk on Wild Fowl Bay, seven miles north of Sebewaing. A mission houses was built there and dedicated on June 27, 1849. Rev J. F. Maler had charge of the mission. By 1854 the Indians had left these parts. The mission house was sold. A century later, it was moved to this site and established as a museum. It is now maintained by the Michigan District of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod.
 

Registered Site L0024
Erected 1962

Location: 590 East Bay St.
Sebewaing, Huron County

Topics:
Churches and Religious Buildings
Museums


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.726096 W83.443672
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.