Gros Cap & St. Helena Island


Gros Cap & St. Helena Island photo of Gros Cap & St. Helena Island
French fishermen who came to Gros Cap (on the shore below) early last century also participated in its offshore settlement, St. Helena Island, where ships obtained wood fuel and other supplies. There in 1850, Archie and Wilson Newton set up a fishing and shipping business. The community thrived for more than thirty years.
 

Registered Site L0022
Erected 1962

Location: Park on US-2 6 miles west of St. Ignace.
Moran Township, Mackinac County

Topics:
Native Americans


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N45.8705290 W84.8054838
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.