Port Hope Chimney


Port Hope Chimney photo of Port Hope Chimney
This chimney was built in 1858 by John Geitz. It is all that remains of the lumber mill established that year by William R. Stafford. Port Hope grew up around the mill. For a score of years this town was the center of lumbering in the Thumb. It also became an important producer of salt. In 1871 and again in 1881 the mill, the docks, and possessions of hundreds of people were destroyed by fire. This chimney is a monument to those pioneers who by their courage and industry developed this area.
 

Registered Site L0021
Erected 1964

Location: Stafford Park, Huron St.
Port Hope, Huron County

Topics:
Business & Industry


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.94424 W82.70881
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.