Franklin Village


Franklin Village photo of Franklin Village
Founded in 1824-25, Franklin received its present name in 1828. First postmaster was Dr. Ebenezer Raynale, state legislator and physician. The William Huston store, opened in 1830 was the forerunner of a business center that later included the famous Broughton Wagon Shop, the Van Every Mills, now "Ye Olde Cider Mill," several taverns, two distilleries, and two churches. The village was a station on the Underground Railroad. Franklin still has the appearance and atmosphere of an early Michigan village.
 

Registered Site L0011
Erected 1960

Location: Village Green Franklin Road
Franklin, Oakland County

Topics:
Black History
Cities and Towns


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.525810 W83.306987
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.