Early Missionary Bark Chapel


Early Missionary Bark Chapel photo of Early Missionary Bark Chapel
According to descriptions by Jesuit missionaries, the bark chapels, which were built among the Indians of the Great Lakes looked like this. In such primitive huts, far from civilization, the courageous French "black robes" lived and sought to turn the minds of the savages to Christianity. One of this illustrious company, Father Claude Dablon, from the mission of Sault Ste. Marie, and later superior general of the Jesuits in Canada, wintered on Mackinac Island in 1670-71 and carried on missionary work here. It is in memory of these heroic pioneer priests that this reconstruction of a bark chapel is dedicated.
 

Photo courtesy of Paul Kitko

Registered Site HB36
Erected 1959

Location: Marquette Park near sidewalk to fort
Mackinac Island, Mackinac County

Topics:
Catholic Churches
Early Settlers
Missing Markers

Evidence indicates that this Marker is no longer in place.


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N45.8507964 W84.6171391
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.