Bishop Baraga House


Bishop Baraga House photo of Bishop Baraga House
Frederic Baraga was a lawyer, an artist and a Roman Catholic priest who came to the U.S. from present-day Slovenia in 1830. Baraga (1797-1868) served Native Americans in the Great Lakes region and wrote A Dictionary of the Otchipwe Language (Chippawa or Ojibwa), published in 1853. Named vicar aposto;oc of the Sault that year, he became bisho[ of Sault Ste. Marie in 1857, and transferred the See of the diocese to Marquette in 1866. Baraga lived in a part of this house that was later moved from behind the cathedral and attached to an existing house on this site. He continued working with native people and helped them connect annuity from the U.S. government. Baraga died in this house on January 19, 1868, and was interred in the crypt of St. Peter Cathedral in Marquette.
 

Registered Site HB28
Erected 2007

Location: 615 S. Fourth St.
Marquette, Marquette County

Topics:
Catholic Churches
Prominent People


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N46.539109670 W87.39892244
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.