Sumnerville Mounds / Sumnerville Cemetery

Sumnerville Mounds Sumnerville Mounds / Sumnerville Cemetery
Between the first and fourth centuries A.D. Hopewell Indians built nine burial mounds near here. The six remaining earthen mounds reflect the Hopewell culture which flourished in the Eastern Woodlands of North America, primarily in Illinois and Ohio. Sumnerville is one of the few places in Michigan where Hopewellian mounds have survived into the twentieth century. While most mounds have been destroyed by plowing or construction, the Sumnerville mounds have been preserved by the landowners. Some of the artifacts removed from the mounds during the late nineteenth century were acquired by the Public Museum of Grand Rapids. Archaeologists named "Sumnerville Incised," a type of Hopewell pottery,
 
Sumnerville Mounds / Sumnerville Cemetery Sumnerville Cemetery
The earliest marked grave in Sumnerville Cemetery dates from 1830 and bears the name "Emily Markham." Many Pokageon pioneers are buried here, including prominent African families of Ash, Gault, Mithchem and Mitchell. The remains of Cass Counties first white settlers. Uzziel and Anna Putnam, are interred in the cemetery. The Putnams came to Pokagon Prairie in 1825. Charity Thompson, the widow of Berrien County's first white settler, Squire Isaac Thompson, and two of their children are also buried in the cemetery. Veterans, beginning with the War of 1812, are interred there as well as judges, legislators and township officials. Since 1990 Pokagon Township has cared for the cemetery.

Registered Site S0667
Erected 2000

Location: Wood Road and Pokagon Highway
Pokagon Township, Cass County

Log Number: 1480

Home
 
© 1991-2011 James Brennan. All rights reserved.