Methodist Episcopal Church [Farmington]

Methodist Episcopal Church [Farmington] Methodist Episcopal Church [Farmington]
Sixteen pioneers organized the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1829. The congregation dedicated its first church building in 1844. When that church burned in 1920, Detroit architect and church members Wells Butterfield and his daughter Emily Butterfield designed this Neo-Gothic structure. Francois Grenier of Detroit created the stained glass windows, including four that depict "pioneers of Christendom," donated by former Michigan governor Fred Warner and his wife, Martha. Completed in 1922, the church and the adjoining community hall, which had a balcony and a stage, served as the center of civic life into the 1940s. The church hosted numerous events - even Saturday night movies. The education building was completed in 1958.

Registered Site L2195
Erected 2007

Location: 33112 Grand River Ave
Farmington, Oakland County

Log Number: 1631

Home
 
© 1991-2011 James Brennan. All rights reserved.